Hypogonadism and aging
- F Lanzafame1
© Lanzafame; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2010
Published: 19 May 2010
The Massachusetts Male Aging Study  shows that male hormones decrease with aging. This is due to some testicular and hypothalamic-pituitary defects. Impaired hypothalamic secretory reserve, resulting in a reduced and chaotic secretion of GnRH, reduced pituitary response to GnRH, resulting in an increased but irregular LH pulse frequency 
With aging, there is a 1.3% increase of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) levels per year . SHBG binds strongly to testosterone, resulting in a reduction of bioavailable testosterone. The age-related reduction of testosterone seems genetically determined3.The Testosterone reduction plays many effects on body composition . Testosterone also operates its effects on the penis leading to a reduction of smooth muscle cells/connettive tissue rate, neuronal nitric oxide synthases, arterial influx/venoocclusion rate. Recently, three scientific societies published some recommendations for the investigation, treatment and monitoring of this kind of hypogonadism, that has been renamed Late Onset Hypogonadism . These recommendationshave been updated lately  and shared by two more scientific societies.
- Feldman HA, Longcope C, Derby CA, Johannes CB, Araujo AB, Coviello AD, Bremner WJ, McKinlay JB: Age trends in the level of serum testosterone and other hormones in middle-aged men: longitudinal results from the Massachusetts male aging study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002, 87 (2): 589-98. 10.1210/jc.87.2.589.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Veldhuis JD, Zwart A, Mulligan T, Iranmanesh A: Muting of androgen negative feedback unveils impoverished gonadotropin-releasing hormone/luteinizing hormone secretory reactivity in healthy older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001, 86 (2): 529-35. 10.1210/jc.86.2.529.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Krithivas K, Yurgalevitch SM, Mohr BA, Wilcox CJ, Batter SJ, Brown M, Longcope C, McKinlay JB, Kantoff PW: Evidence that the CAG repeat in the androgen receptor gene is associated with the age-related decline in serum androgen levels in men. J Endocrinol. 1999, 162 (1): 137-42. 10.1677/joe.0.1620137.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Grant GF, Parr T: Decline of life’s energy theory of ageing 2. Restoration of anabolic and regulatory processes Exp Opinion Ther Patents. 2000, 10 (12): 1885-98.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Nieschlag E, Swerdloff R, Behre HM, Gooren LJ, Kaufman JM, Legros JJ, Lunenfeld B, Morley JE, Schulman C, Wang C, Weidner W, Wu FC: Investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males: ISA, ISSAM, and EAU recommendations. Int J Androl. 2005, 28 (3): 125-7. 10.1111/j.1365-2605.2005.00553.x.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang C, Nieschlag E, Swerdloff R, Behre HM, Hellstrom WJ, Gooren LJ, Kaufman JM, Legros JJ, Lunenfeld B, Morales A, Morley JE, Schulman C, Thompson IM, Weidner W, Wu FC: ISA, ISSAM, EAU, EAA and ASA recommendations: investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males. Int J Impot Res. 2009, 21 (1): 1-8. 10.1038/ijir.2008.41.PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.