▪ Solely trial-based, non-modelling economic studies were included.
▪ The study design had to compare cost outcomes of non-pharmacological interventions directly targeted at persons with dementia, persons with mild cognitive impairment or the respective informal caregiver.
▪ The presence of an independent control group.
▪ No restriction was made regarding the type or stage of dementia.
▪ The studies had to be written in English or German, and published between 01.01.2010 and 31.12.2016.
▪ Model-based economic studies were excluded.
▪ Studies evaluating organizational changes and changes in the delivery of care and support were not considered.
▪ Qualitative research, cost-of-illness studies, case studies, studies without a control group, systematic reviews or meta-analyses were excluded.
▪ Conference abstracts were not considered.